Sunday 15 January 2012

Ready to Get My Yoga On



Lock your knees! Point Your Toes! Lock Your Knees! Lock Your Knees! These words have been running rampant through my mind this week as I began week one of my "non-official" Bikram 30-Day Challenge That's right 3 classes down...and 27 more to go. Unlike the "official" Bikram Challenge (which involves sweating through a Bikram session every day for a month) my goal, simply put, is to attend 30 classes so I too can reap the benefits of the healthy spine healthy life Bikram mantra and...


 SHED THE LBS SO I CAN FIT INTO MY LBD'S

Bikram purportedly provides a great cardiovascular workout. As much as I enjoy pushing myself further than I ever thought possible while in Ardha-Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose), as a full-time student I don't have the extra 2,700 minutes a month right now to subscribe to Bikram Choudhury's daily 90 minute sweat-fest. This type of commitment would require me to give up not only my studies but also 2,700 minutes that would likely be devoted to catching up a Molotov-cocktail of quality reality programming such as Slice's Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,  TLC's Say Yes to the Dress (NY & ATL y'all) and the usual Monday night trainwreck of ABC's The Bachelor.

Let me be honest...sometimes I need a day or two between all this touching my forehead to my knee business as it takes me awhile to get the:

a) memory
b) sting
c) taste
d) all of the above

of my own sweat out of my nose, eyes and mouth ok?

If this was a pop quiz and you answered d) then you and I have more than just an interest in fashion, beauty and home decor in common.  It is possible you too  may have woken up one morning with some mighty tender boobies wondering if perhaps this might be the tell-tale sign of a (likely unplanned) pregnancy? Snap out of it girl! You soon realize the need to ice your chest comes as a result of the particularly intense effort you gave mounting your elbows in Locust pose during the previous night's Bikram class.

Week 2 of my commitment to begins tomorrow. Working my coccyx to my spine in over 104 degree heat with up to 50 short-short sportin' men and gals of all shapes and sizes clad in dizzying arrays of psychedelic-print Lycra is going to be part of my gettin' my groove and my butt back in my Guess jeans in 2012.
 
Big ups to Bikram Langley owner Candice Lim-Hing and the fun, friendly and flexible staffers who help encourage legions of us Langley-ites (and soon 'Ridge-dwellers) that we can do anything for 10-seconds. It's not called yoga perfect..it's called yoga practice.


Want to take the deepest breath of your life? Try classes for free at the Grand Opening of Bikram Yoga Maple Ridge taking place on Saturday January 28th. See below for more details on this exciting event!

NAMASTE



No comments:

Post a Comment