Friday 20 January 2012

Transparency - Solid v.s. Clear




I don’t get it? What is the big deal lately as to whether or not businesses, agencies or government should  be prepared to offer the public full-disclosure or “transparency”? I expect the majority that is so quick to demand transparency from these organizations consist of individuals who are motivated by specific political or social agendas or have ties to special interest groups. Believe me when I tell you when it comes to the issue of transparencythe only thing that might keep me up at night is whether or not my new Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid in Cocoa Butter Kiss deodorant lives to its claims to leave no unsightly marks behind on my black silk blouse.



For the sake of this week's Social Media Marketing assignment let’s just say the above mentioned favourite product of mine fails to live up to its $4.29 price tag. As a result, I have to incur the expense and inconvenience to take my blouse to the dry cleaners. Am I going to be so incensed that I will be rush to social media, take to  blogs or feel inclined to tell 10 people (who will tell 10 people) that “My deodorant doesn’t live up to the advertised benefit a solid leaving no residue behind”. No I will not.

In the case of private companies who are in the business of marketing goods and services to consumers - the transition to transparency needs to be carefully executed. A full understanding the responsibilities, risks and excellent public relations is needed. Social media, while a valuable two-way communication tool between companies and their public, is also an easily accessible platform in which to air petty consumer grievances. In the case of my Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid deodorant, should I have any product concerns,  I would not take to the company's social media sites to air my dirty laundry.

It is not worth my time or energy to spend countless hours  posting, tweeting, blogging and ranting about about my armpits waging war on my silk-chiffon tops.  I suppose if I didn't have a life, a family to take care of, a job to do, school to attend or paint to watch dry I could make time to post a complaint comment expressing my displeasure with my own choice to purchase a solid pit stick over a clear pit stick. After finding a way to somehow blame the company for my inability to read a simple label- I would check my various social media feeds to find out if I have been if my comment has made the top feed, been shared or re-tweeted. I would be monitoring this incessantly while I wait 24 to 48 hours for the company to address my complaint concern.  I would also be anxiously checking my in-box for a coupon valued at $2.00 off my next purchase (with mail-in rebate) from this company.  

To what degree do the makers of Secret owe their public (aka me) transparency? Should they risk competitive intelligence, set themselves up for potential future losses by disclosing proprietary information, such as the formulation of their Invisible Solid deodorant, so no other silk blouses will have to suffer the indignation of being forced to return home from the dry cleaners pinned to a unsightly wire hanger? Should Secret issue a public statement expressing their sincere regret to the users of Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid who may have suffered humiliation and pain associated with small white marks associated to using a white, smooth yet chalky substance in an area that is as likely to come into contact with a dark colour top as it is a light colour one? Is Secret wilfully trying to alienate those customers who choose to wear all black because “it’s more slimming”? Oh yes - I can see the headlines now reading “Makers of Secret Deodorant Discriminate Against The Pleasantly Plump".

Should Secret just decline to comment on the matter? No they should not. A reasonable response to the issue would be to address the failure for the product to live up to its claims - taking action by immediately reducing the distribution of Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid in Cocoa Butter Kiss. Secret should then re-focus their efforts on developing an integrated marketing campaign targeting little black blouses everywhere for Secret Cocoa Butter Kiss Clear Gel. Oh wait –  the clear gel formulation is already on the market! The to the moral of this story: I failed a to follow a reasonable degree of good ol’ caveat emptor on my recent trip to the drug store. Guess I owe my wardrobe an apology for any inconveniences I may have caused.

xo Melissa

PS - I really, really do love Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid in Cocoa Butter Kiss! Click this link for more fab products from Secret! http://www.secret.com/scented-deodorant.aspx
Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid & Body Splash in Cocoa Butter Kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment